Thank God for the collet chuck! With out it I would have never been able to get the cross slide close enough to the spindle as I needed to. This chuck by nature moves the work out about 3" past standard scroll type chucks. I made the "boring bar" insert holder today and finished up the rest of the stack. The inside was much more difficult to get a smooth finish on because the bar has flex by nature and causes chatter, so I braced it up some with my hand and got a decent finish. Ill take the small inconsistencies out with some emery tomorrow.
Friday, January 27, 2012
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Got Garys stack pretty much finished today, really stoked on how it turned out. Messed around with the knurl, wanted to make it super shallow but really crisp. I need to take care of the inner diameter tomorrow. Makes a good beer holder for after work too.
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.3
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
I have been working on this tool for a while now off and on, but I have some stuff in my head that requires the tool so it was time to finish it up. It gets bolted to the cross slide of my lathe and is manually operated. The first picture it the bearing assembly I came up with so that it would be sturdy and smooth, too smooth I could use some more friction...oh well. This is an example of what I can make with it. It looks too much like Saturn but for a mess around test of performance it works.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
When re phasing XS you need to rotate crank 3 splines but when you do there is no opening for the key to index itself. Being hardened there was no way to make the slot, so I rigged up a grinding stone in the slitting saw arbiter and made the cut. It worked very well and only took about 5 minutes
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.3
Monday, January 23, 2012
I needed a shoulder bolt with a certain size shoulder today for a tool I'm making, so I decided to manufacture it rather than open the McMaster catalog, spend a half hour searching through the thousands of different sizes, calling them up and then waiting a day with nothing to do and no tool to make new parts with. Here it is from raw form to finished bolt.
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Thursday, January 12, 2012
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Picked this gorgeous Brown & Sharpe universal dividing head today from a local machine shop! I'm finding it difficult to explain how well built this unit is...impossible to beat old U.S. mfg. Especially B&S. Can't wait to make some parts with it!
Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2
Sunday, January 8, 2012
It might not look like it but there is about 8hrs + in this piece and it's not because I don't know what I'm doing, or that I'm working slow. The amount of measuring, checking, measuring, machining, measuring, grinding, measuring, etc. was to put it lightly, extreme. Unlike the axle mounting fixture where all I really needed was the centerline, the CL of the motor on a big twin is NOT on the CL of the frame. To make matters more difficult the factory blueprint I'm using does not note the offset so with Joe's help we were able to figure that distance off another frame we have. Once we had that measurement and figured the distance from the CL of the frame tube things went right together. If you look closely at the photos you can see the offset from the top plate which locates the motor mounts and the bottom plate that locates the center of the frame. The trans. mount is next, then swingarm pivot and the neck fixture with the small bits being filled in as I go.
What I Have so far