Friday, February 4, 2011

Breather Repair pt. 2

Made a plate to protect the case and add rigidity and support for the pulling procedure.

I ended up welding the shaft of an existing puller onto the breather gear, making sure to put the nut on first. Note the color of the weld. That's the aluminum bronze rod I mentioned a couple days ago. I made a couple short beads with ER70S-2 filler rod and it cracked, so I switched the machine to AC, grabbed a stick of aluminum bronze and problem solved.

Notched a heavy I-beam so it would slip around the stud. I used this as the fulcrum base because the gear needs to be pulled strait out and cant be turned.

It's a crude looking tool but it only took and hour to make and it works

I got the gear 3/4 of the way out and it ended up snapping. I tried coxing it around while still in the bore but there was half a spiral clip wedged deep in there and it wouldn't come free.

The other half of the gear stuck in the pocket

Well, I got everything out and I don't really feel one way or the other about the amount of damage. Before I attempted to get the gear out there were hair line cracks all over the outside of the pocket and there was just no way that gear was coming out with all the shrap metal wedged behind it. I was planning to ream it and machine a sleeve anyways. Maybe I'm numb, but at least I'm confident.

1 comment: