Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ampco Bronze

There are times when you want to pull your hair out trying to get a job done. This job was one of those cases. Not because it was difficult to complete, but because the two metals I was trying to join were of dissimilar characteristics. I assumed the base metal of the heart shaped forging was just that, forged steel, that said every common filler rod I tried on it would crack when the weld cooled. I tried pre/post heating; didn't work. So I did some research and found this filler rod for joining dissimilar metals. It worked amazingly on a test  piece and it strong as hell. It requires that you weld using alternating current. That's right, it sounds fucked up but it worked.  If you build shit and TIG weld than get a tube of this stuff, it was $15 for 1lb and I can see it coming in handy more than just this once.

No comments:

Post a Comment